Saturday, July 24, 2010

Confronting perfectionist tendencies

Hi there -- if you've come here from TNC's place, welcome!

On the hottest day of the year so far, I'm blissfully in my house, with the AC on, about to start a new project.  The project: finishing all of the knitting projects I've started over the past couple of years.  

These are projects I want when they're done.  There's a lot of money sunk into these projects.  They're all challenging in some form or fashion.  However, I've failed over and over to reach the finish line.  When my little sister visited in the spring, we agreed the projects indicated a wish to be "busy" -- "Look at the proof on the coffee table!  I'm so busy!"  Now I look at the table and at its outposts and I think, "Frigging hoarder/packrat."  

For the next year, I'll be writing periodically, maybe daily, about all the things that have helped create this monstrosity of a pile.  Some entries may be done in OpenOffice and copied here.  Photos will show up here and on Ravelry, and maybe FB too.  There could be a book if I think I've said something provocative, but I'll leave it up to the editors of the world to give me feedback.  The last thing I want to do is make this a meditation on "being a woman and in touch with my most uterine self" crap that's already in the bookstores.  

The one rule:  Whatever I'm knitting at the moment won't be set aside -- I will see it through its conclusion, buttons and weaving in of ends and sewing up and modeling for you and for me.  Wish me luck!  (There's a new rug riding on this, and maybe two new bathrooms as well!)

1 comment:

  1. Heya Roz - Blogger comments isn't giving me any email addresses so that I can answer personally. Can you please email me at naturalbornknitterATrogersDOTcom

    Thanks,
    Wannietta

    ReplyDelete